Mobile Automation Testing – Tools Worth Exploring to Streamline the Process
In the fast-paced web and mobile app development world, automation testing tools appeal to quality analysts to create a highly scalable software product.
But before the commencement of these automation testing tools, there were many challenges in testing mobile and multi-channel applications.
Based on a global survey of senior IT-management executives, you can see the key challenges in app testing from 2013-2018.
Nowadays, enterprises are implementing CI (Continuous Integration) and CD (Continuous Deployment), Agile, and DevOps approaches to keep pace with ever-evolving customers’ demands. Test automation is the core of these aspects.
The software development process is incomplete without automation testing. The automation testing tools aim for short testing time, improved coverage, and productive test case usage. It makes sure that the automation benefits are leveraged to the fullest.
Here we have mentioned some of the worth exploring tools that simplify the testing process. So let’s get going.
Mobile Automation Testing Tools
Appium is an open-source tool for test automation that you can use with native, hybrid, and mobile web apps.
Its core concept is that there is no need to add an SDK or recompile the app while performing native app testing. You are free to use your favourite test practices, tools, and framework. Appium is an open-source project that develops tools and designs to motivate an active community.
Appium enables full access to back-end APIs and Databases from test code.
It also automates any mobile app from any language and test framework. You can write tests with your preferred tools using different programming languages.
- Integrate with different frameworks and testing platforms like Jenkins and other CI/CD tools
- Enables reusability of test and code among iOS, Android, and Windows
- Eliminate the need for app recompiling, frameworks, or different codebase
- Easy to adopt for those who have knowledge and experience of Selenium
- Appium Desktop’s recording features facilitate gestures recording as code
Kobiton is a mobile testing platform that fastens the testing process and delivery of mobile apps. It enables automated and manual testing on actual devices or emulators, whether on the private cloud, public cloud, or on-premises.
It functions well with Android, iOS, and native apps and uses no code technology. It thoroughly tests your UI and UX across all the available devices.
Kobiton enables scriptless app automation for uninterrupted testing at scale. It improves mobile app performance to get higher app store rankings, mitigated app abandonment and increases revenue on mobile channels.
- Enable testing on the actual devices
- Device Lab Management (DLM)
- Enable scriptless automation
- Natural gestures and responsiveness
- Load apps and boot devices faster compared to others
- DLM easily connects internal devices, creating its own Local test cloud
- Flexible test cloud and rich test logs
- Automatic capture, easy log access, and historical results
- One platform for web, hybrid, and native apps
- Facilitate automation with the latest automaton frameworks like Appium, Espresso, Xcui, Selenium
- Enable parallel automation execution with different mobile testing tools
- Smart app directory, detailed activity logs, and testing within minutes
- App-Ray partnership, data-centre, and dev centre security
XCUITest is an automated iOS app testing tool launched by Apple. It is not a cross-platform framework. Tests composed here can not be utilised to test Android apps.
Also, with XCUITest you can not choose any programming language to make tests (Java, Ruby, Python). You can opt for only Swift/Objective C.
XCUITest creates UI tests for iOS apps and executes with Xcode IDE. It helps iOS app developers get precise outcomes to discover and correct the differences within.
Moreover, the framework leverages recorder tools. It helps testers to record the process rather than write the codes. The text execution process is also quick and viable for all iOS devices.
- Executes within the XCode IDE
- Enables faster test execution
- Set up is easy as it embeds into the XCode IDE
- Supports Swift and Objective-C programming languages
- Facilitate test recording using the XCode UI test recorder
Espresso is one of the most widely known mobile testing frameworks generated by Google and incorporated with Android Studio.
The tool is easy to adapt to one who has experience with native Android apps.
Using Espresso, you can build and deploy Android UI tests only. Developers can develop a test scenario and record the interaction with a mobile device.
According to analysis, developers can test the UI elements’ behaviour with snapshot capturing.
- An Android-specific platform for app testing
- Supports all Android instrumentation
- Enables block box and particular component testing
- Facilitate manual test creation with Kotlin and Java
- Support Android and hybrid web apps testing
- Enables effortless setup and synchronised test execution
- Comprises a simple and flexible API
- UI tests run on actual devices and emulators
- Record tests with an Espresso recorder rather than writing code
|5. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is one of the leading alternatives of Appium to perform mobile automation testing. It is bundled with all the needed components and a prebuilt keyboard to initiate mobile automation projects quickly.
It supports advanced mobile platforms and devices and enables an Appium-based rich and active ecosystem. You can seamlessly detect and store UI elements to fasten the scripting process and mitigate maintenance efforts.
It enables the easy creation of tests with a mobile recorder and automatically stores all UI elements for reusing purposes. It maximises automation proficiency with reusable scripts and test objects across API, mobile, and web platforms.
Tests run locally and remotely on actual and cloud-based devices and simulators. You can integrate it with the mobile platforms you are already using.
- Simple set up
- Appium compliant
- Powerful object spying utility
- Robust recording utility
- Optimal cross-functional testing
- Cross environment execution
- Cloud-based mobile platform integration
- Supported OS: Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Support native apps, mobile web apps, and hybrid apps testing
Robotium is a framework for Android test automation that supports native and hybrid apps. The framework streamlines the process of writing robust automatic black-box UI tests for Android apps.
Robotium supports test case developers writing functions, system and user acceptance test scripts that span many Android activities.
Robotium test apps that contain source code and have an APK file.
- Test native and hybrid apps
- Need minimal knowledge of the app under test
- Manage multiple Android activities automatically
- Need minimal time to write robust test cases
- Test case readability is highly enhanced compared to standard instrumentation tests
- Test cases are highly scalable because of run-time UI components binding
- Faster execution of test cases
- Integrates flawlessly with Maven, Gradle or Ant to run tests
TestComplete contains an intelligent object repository and supports more than 500 controls. It assures that GUI tests are fully robust, easy to maintain, and scalable. You can leverage high automated quality that ultimately delivers high quality overall.
You can automate UI testing on different desktop apps containing Java, .Net, WPF, and Windows 10. Along with desktop testing, you can make reusable tests for every web app containing the latest JS frameworks such as React and Angular on different browser and platform configurations.
TestComplete lets you make and automate functional UI tests on actual/virtual iOS and Android devices. You do not have to break a phone.
- Building automated UI tests.
- Object recognition engine now with AI.
- Data-Driven testing.
- Automated test Reporting and Analysis.
- Intelligent quality Add-on.
- Keyword-driven testing.
- Free training and support.
- Cross-browser and Device testing.
- Parallel testing.
- Continuous testing for DevOps.
- Test automation for Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD).
- Harness the power of Automated Test Reuse.
In a Nutshell
Mobile automation testing tools aid solve issues addressed while producing reliable and robust software. So you must be careful when it comes to opting for the best testing tool.
You need to focus on the features of a specific tool and compare them with your quality assurance needs.
Addionationly, you need to discover a tool that offers multiple testing options, compatible with different devices, and supports various scripting languages.
On successful app testing, you can deliver a bug-free solution to the customers that ultimately increases their reliability on your products/services and helps to gain more loyal users.
Telehealth vs Telemedicine Differences: Here’s What’s In
Telehealth and telemedicine are individual approaches to administering health services through technology. In other words, telemedicine falls under the...
Leading-Edge FinTech App Ideas to Revolutionise Finance Sector
Mobiles remain an essential aspect of technology that has helped each industry niche, and FinTech is not an exception...
Mobile Automation Testing – Tools Worth Exploring to Streamline the Process
In the fast-paced web and mobile app development world, automation testing tools appeal to quality analysts to create a...